me in paris -2005, pre-mommy days. i want those arms again!

Friday, July 16, 2010

Feelin' Hot, Hot, Hot!

Shew-weeee, that Hot Yoga is something else! I stepped out of my comfort zone yesterday to try something a little different. Usually, I like the fast paced classes (kick-boxing and bodypump used to be 2 of my favs), but I was intrigued not only by the slow movement of yoga, but doing it in a 90 degree room. I mean, who doesn't want the look of Madonna's arms or Jennifer Aniston's legs. I'm not sure if they do the hot version, but they are always singing the praises of yoga, so why not try it?

I took my booty over to Bhuddi Mat, http://www.buddhimatyoga.com/, here in Ridgefield yesterday. From the get-go it was a peaceful, calm, informative experience. The gal behind the counter checking me in looked fabulous, so now I have high hopes!

Into class I go. I calmly laid down my mat on the designated area and sat down to start getting my breath on track in this rather warm room. Cozy and comfy - I could have napped right there and then. Watch out! In comes Miss California Perfection (tan and toned) and chooses the spot next to mine. Oh God, NO! I now know that I will be comparing myself to her all class; after all, it's what I do best!

We begin. It takes me all of maybe 2 minutes before I start seriously sweating. I look around and no one else seems to be fazed by the heat. I figure they'll catch up later, but oh no, I do believe I'm the ONLY one turning into a puddle by minute 7! I would usually laugh this off, but if I even begin the slightest giggle I know that it will turn into crazy laughing while everyone is calm, COOL, and collected. I decide to just keep my nervous giggles inside, besides I'm not too hot and sweaty to think straight.

Of course, I look over at the true yogi next to me. Again, perfection. Each movement flows seamlessly into the next and still she looks as if she's floating through a 65 degree room. Me, I'm so wet that I almost break an ankle as it slips from underneath me as I get into downward dog, warrior, or second warrior - Whatever those positions are!

An hour and 15 mins. later I'm resting peacefully on my back as the instructor speaks slowly and peacefully to us. She sends us well-wishes as we continue our day, and you know I love the Namaste part - such a lovely greeting! Wonder if it would be too weird if I went around greeting others in public that way (hands folded and head bowed)? I just love it!

I pick my puddle-self up and head out into the heat of the midday sun. I return home to my 2 year old who has now had two potty accidents with the sitter. Usually, this makes me start to get worked up inside (why can't he just go potty in a public restroom??!), but I just shrug my shoulders and say, "oh, well. we'll do better this afternoon". Whoa - who is that talking?? Throughout the day this gal stayed with me - calm, collected, and now cool! Even C. noticed my happy demeanor when he got home.

This morning I woke up feeling tight and slightly sore. I love that feeling you get after you know you've had a great work-out!
Will I be going back? Yes, I will (with more towels in hand)! In about an hour and a half I get a good work-out and a calming sense which = happy, healthy mommy! I also hope to see Miss California again. She can bend and twist herself into some pretty awesome positions. If I can learn something from her then hubby could be quite happy! ;)



2 comments:

  1. hee hee! kelly, you crack me up. this reminds me of how i felt when you dragged me to kickboxing at the salem fitness center many moons ago. you told me it was the beginners' class and by the end,i truly thought i'd die right then and there. when i was finally able to breathe, i mentioned how hard it was and you told me it was the advanced class! stinker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!!! Glad you made it to class! I'm not into Yoga yet - Trav loves it!
    Weird O won't got potty in a public restroom - Landon visited every single on in the Rke Valley!
    Stay on Track!!!!! Doing good!!!

    ReplyDelete